Sunday, July 5, 2009

More confused than before.

Yeah, the War Remnants Museum did NOT help our understanding of the Vietnam War. It basically was about how Americans are barbarians...and Vietnam just wanted it's Independance. There weren't really any actual facts. Just horribly brutal pictures and descriptions. We left feeling confused, empty, and nauseous insead of respectfully enlightened. Oh well. It was an experience.
Today we had traditional Vietnam breakfast, well Kristina did, I couldn't do it. It was beefsteak meatballs, pate, and eggs fried in oil...mmmmm. Just kidding. Kristina said it was pretty good. The only non beef option was fried chicken and rice.. HIT THE SPOT!!! Nothing like a nice light fried chicken for breakfast. Just kidding again. It was good, just not my typical breakfast food.

Funny story: (hopefully one that won't freak mom out... not sure) So we were supposed to meet a friend of Kristina's that moved out here with his wife who is Vietnamese for breakfast. So he came to our guesthouse and we got a taxi and he told our driver where to take us and then he rode his motorbike...
So our driver stops and points to this place and we pay him (too much, he jipped us...still getting used to the money here) and he drives away and we wait for Kristina's friend but he doesn't show for like 5...10...15 minutes and we know he should have been there by now so we start looking for a phone (Kristina's cell doesn't work, not sure why) and all the phones require a phone card which we didn't have and didn't know where to get one... sooooo Kristina asks someone and they send her down the street but someone needed to wait by the restaurant in case he showed up so I stayed and she went looking for a phone card... So I'm standing there wathcing crazy crazy traffic and they're all staring at me (of course, we're like aliens out here) And I don't know how much time has passed but I start to worry, How long has it been? Should I have gone with Kristina? Oh my gosh, am I by myself, are we seperated? Has she been kidnapped? Aaahhh!! (we literally have not been seperated this whole trip, we do have an emergency plan though, we're not that stupid)
It was probably only like 2 minutes but I freaked enough to start looking for her and walked in the direction she had gone until I came to this really nice hotel and thought "that's where I would go if I needed help" and sure enough Kristina came out the door right then and told me the receptionist had called another taxi and that he'd just taken us to the wrong one, apparently there are two locations. So we found her friend and had delicious beefsteak for breakfast!! Mmmm.
We spent the rest of the day just walking around. We found a really cool park and there were tons of kids playing and a group of teens doing some organized dance and there was a sculpture garden and picknickers and make-outers.
It was just a lovely Sunday in the Park.
Vietnam Style.

1 comment:

Connie de said...

I'm not freaked out when I read the story, knowing you were able to write the story after it happened.