Thursday, July 9, 2009

Did I scare ya?

Sorry it's been a few days. We've been moving around a lot the last few days and Internet is not as plentiful in Cambodia. The day after we went to the War Remnants museum we went on a tour of the Mekong Delta- It was really cool. There are actually FOUR islands in the Mekong and we visited two of them and ate fresh honey and fruit and coconut candy which are all actually ploys to get you to buy stuff because you eat it and go "mmmmm... I want that." They fed us lunch and then they let you lay in hammocks or borrow a bicycle to ride through the little village. Kristina and I did both, we took a nap in a hammock and then we rode on a bike- through a village- on an Island- in the Mekong Delta. Yeah, I know. The next day we went on a tour to the Cu Chi tunnels which are tunnels that the Vietnamese used to live in when they were bombed during the War.
Ok, now I know I don't know a lot about the Vietnam War- I admit it, I'm very ignorant. However- This was an experience that any American would feel uncomfortable in, I think. They start by showing this video that was made in 1967 about the war and the brave men, woman, and child soldiers who fought off the Enemy (us). It said NOTHING about the other Vietnamese they were fighting against. This is a direct quote from the video- "bunch of American devils". Then they showed us the types of traps they used to hurt or kill American soldiers. On the wall behind the exhibit was a mural of all the different traps with American soldiers being impaled and blood spurting- not a joke- I will post pictures. There is also a tank with a plaque on it that said "American tank destroyed by landmine". Kristina and I were the only Americans on this tour and needless to say we felt a little weird... or a lot weird.
We left Vietnam on Wednesday- 6 hours on a bus on really really bad rodes...again. The worst part actually isn't the roads, it's the honking. They don't really follow the same traffic laws we do and the basic traffic rule is yield to the biggest vehicle. So any time we come up behind a motorbike or other slower moving vehicle, which is about every 10 seconds, he honks. And I'm pretty sure these are not your standard horns, they must be like left-over fog horns or something. Kristina and I were sitting in the back of the bus and it still startled us every time he honked. It was like noise torture. I just kept thinking about how quiet my parents street is and how much I wanted to sit out there at night and just listen to the quiet.
Anywho, we went to the killing fields yesterday and spent the night in Phnom Penh and then hopped on a bus this morning and drove ANOTHER 6 hours to Siem Reap. It's only about 250 kilometers but it takes really long because the road is one step up from a dirt road, the whole way. So we made it to Siem Reap and tomorrow we take a tuk tuk to the Temples of Angkor!!! This is probably the only reason we came to Cambodia, I am so excited. The pictures of this place are mind blowing, I can't wait to see it for real. The "thing to do" is go at sunrise because it's supposed to be amazing so we have to leave our hotel at 5am...
If you're curious about the Killing Fields, you should probably look it up because I am not the one to ask and if you want to know what it was like I am also not the one to ask because there are no words to describe it. In very brief terms it is a place that the Khmer Rouge, a group of communist rebels, used to torture and execute hundreds of thousands of Cambodians in the space of four years. It looks like a grassy field except that there are 129 mass graves and a stupa (religious monument) that rises above the field holding over 9000 human skulls found during the excavations. There are still pieces of clothing half buried in the dirt.
I hope that my writing about this doesn't make light of what happened in any way. It was a harrowing experience but one that I think is important to have.

2 comments:

Connie de said...

Yes you made me a little nervous but then I say 'I'm sure she is fine...)
And I'm sure the people of the war didn't understand the long term purpose and just hated the bad Americans for the death and destruction 'we' caused. You'll have to come home (come home) and read about it from our perspective.

Mrs. Schmalison said...

Yeah, come home. Thats enough. Where's my present?;)

Check Jackie's blog