Sunday, June 14, 2009

Oh Thank heaven!

For 7/11. We would probably be starving without it. This has been a crazy trip so far and 90% of the time we are lost. We are learning the metro and skytrain system so it's getting better. We are also learning to say "no" to everyone that approaches us because they are always trying to get you to take their "tuk tuk." At first we thought everyone was helpful but it turns out they are just trying to sell you something.
Our first real day here (Sat) we spent half the day trying to get to our hostel and we got so lost and were so hot and tired that by the time we found it around 2:30 in the afternoon, we both fell asleep under the air conditioner and slept until 6:00 the next morning. So much for a nap... I guess we needed it.
We are still in Bangkok and yesterday (Sun) we went to the weekend market and over to the area with all the temples and the Grand Palace but unfortunately it was closed for a few hours for prayer or something so we ate lunch (our first experience with "street food"...scary, but good) and then took a river taxi to a shopping center. Tonight we are taking a night bus and ferry to an island called Ko Samui. We only booked two nights there but if we like it, we may stay longer. We've heard horror stories about these bus rides but we are keeping our fingers crossed that it won't be too bad...ha ha...
Mom, yes Kristina's phone does not get reception anywhere. We are not sure why. Sorry. And also, remember when I told you that my insurance card was in my wallet, I lied. I found it in my bag, here in Thailand, not in America. Sorry again. Also, I counted my malaria pills and there are only 30 total... So I guess I'll just have to tell the mosquitos not to bite me the last 5 days. I'm sure they'll listen.
Internet is not as cheap as I thought it would be so don't wait by your computers for updates, I will do as much as I can.
Overall we are happy and excited to move on. Yesterday (when we were lost, again) Kristina asked, "when can we just lay on the beach?"
Soon.
I love you all!

1 comment:

Connie de said...

hey! thank you for the communication. I'll try and be patient but will still check 10 times a day... (I'm at Doug and Helen's) Spent the day with the Matt O. Fam, and Patty ect.
I did find the copy of your card and called - everything is okie dokie. Keep looking for Mary. I think she is on the other side of the island. Love you.